Thursday, May 13, 2010

Blog Communication

At first, I was kind of feeling iffy about this whole blog thing. I had never done it before and I thought it was something not useful. Lol I think what played into my prejudice was the fact that I never really looked favorably upon blogs. I know that blogging is becoming a huge force on the internet but for some reason, I was not really interested in it. Even though facebook and myspace became big things, I was never really into blogs, I don’t know why. (suffice it to say, I did have a myspace which now I don’t use since I upgraded to facebook haha)

However, I am not going to be hating on blogging. In the context of this class, it was certainly a unique experience to learn more about the subject matter. Since we were assigned to do blogs, it actually made me think and analyze what I did during the class activity which did drill the point home about what we learned in class. So, as a studying tool, it has been useful. It was also a cool way to learn. It also was beneficial how we could talk to other students from class about the activities which generated an exchange of ideas and also let you kind of break the ice with other people in class whom you never really talked to before. For people like me, who are shy, it was definitely a great tool to interact with other students and get to know more about them.

One of the best things about the blog is that it is 20% of our grade. I think that is very generous and very helpful. Students do not need to stress out so much about the tests that we have since if you unfortunately do bad, than there are other opportunities to improve your grade, mainly the blog and the plethora of extra credits that we have been getting all semester. So that said, I think this blog should be included as a component of this class. Its an helpful and easy assignment for students for their own benefit: grade-wise and learning-wise. However, after this class is over, I would not continue this blog, honestly speaking. And that is because to my “prejudice” against blogs that I previously mentioned. Don’t get me wrong, I think blogs have really helped me through this class and I think they are a wonderful addition to the class, but I am just not really into it. I guess everyone has their own feelings and attitudes towards things.

6 comments:

  1. It's crazy but I really didn't think about the 20% portion of the blog through out the semester. I'm even more glad that I chose to do them, as I noticed many haven't. It was definitely an different way of learning and totally much more enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was actually really glad that 20% of our grade is based on our blog and the comments we make. This really gives us a chance to express ourselves and easily earn a good grade. We also learned and remembers the concepts more this way. I would say the benefits of the blog definitely made the blog worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know, I felt a little stressed about writing these blogs...not the actual content and assignments, which were fun and informative, but I think the whole "deadline" aspect behind making sure I had my work submitted by 11:59 PM on the due date was a little daunting. But it is a relief to know that they constitute 20% of our final grade, that's the difference between a whole letter grade!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The blogs really do help relieve the anxieties that come from exam grades. They were easy because we wrote about our own opinions and experiences. There were no right or wrong answers to the topics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you! The 20% was a gift to the students. I didn't enjoy too much about writing about the experiments we had in class but it was fun when people did comment on what I had to say. I wasn't too sure if I would get any to begin with. Blogging is just another way of interacting with each other expect it doesn't have to be during class. Blogging was a good idea for the class especially since everyone does some type of "blogging" via netowrking sites.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also agree! these 20% of the grade is like a present. All you have to do is just to be on time with postings and comments. I, personally missed one of them...which is totally my fault. And i also found it interesting to read people's comments on my blog:)

    ReplyDelete